Born in Nagpur in 1951, Vinay Thakur joined the family profession as a lawyer & practiced in High Court for 9 years. He is a self-taught photographer whose love for nature and wildlife made him switch the lanes and after a brief photography course at Rochester USA in 1984, he parted ways with the family legal fraternity, jumping straight into commercial and advertising photography in 1985. He further obtained a Diploma in Large Format Photography from SINAR, Switzerland.
• Official photographer for the IMF WORLD BANK meeting in Washington DC, 1984, chaired by then Finance Minister of India, Shri. Pranab Mukherji.
• Official photographer for Prime Minister of India, Hon'ble Shri P.V. Narsimha Rao during his factory visit to NIPPON DENRO ISPAT LTD on 7th March, 1993.
• Produced films for Ispat Industries Ltd., Fedders Lloyd and Dinshaw's Ice Creams for National release on TV and cinema theaters. He has also produced various Industrial & technical films for Hindustan Levers factories across India.
• Had the honour to teach photography to Master of Fine Arts at Nagpur University, as an honorary faculty for one year, on invitation.
• Taught Photography to IInd year Students of Priyadarshini Institute of Architecture & Design Studies for the year 2013-14